James is a strategist who believes that outstanding brands are learning organizations that educate, advocate for and nurture communities, be they local neighborhoods or global markets. He is a leading advocate for building trust and online sustainability through education and compliance. His career experience includes being an entrepreneur, political consultant and marketing executive.
James has worked with over 40 technology focused companies and currently is obsessed with data strategy, studying bias and the impact of marketing platforms and content.
One of James’ favorite engagements was as Director of Marketing and Policy for LashBack, Inc., the leading global email compliance service provider. James has been invited to speak and train on messaging compliance by leading technology associations and corporations in the United States and European Union. He served on the steering committee for the Online Trust Alliance (OTA) and the best practices committee of the London Action Plan (LAP), a global consortium of regulatory enforcement agencies and industry leaders.
As a political consultant and advocate for improving democracy, James worked with over 200 political and issue campaigns, served as Publisher of Campaigns & Elections magazine, received an Instructor’s Certificate from the Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy, Center for Government Services, Continuing Studies, Rutgers University and undergraduate and graduate work at the School of Public Affairs and Campaign Management Institute, American University in Washington, D.C. He has served as a founding Board Member of the Mid Atlantic Chapter of the American Association of Political Consultants.
A passionate, execution-oriented serial entrepreneur and investor, Scott Crutcher is currently an acting CTO and adviser to multiple companies, following a 15-year tenure in Venice, CA serving as the Owner/Creative Director of a full service interactive marketing, design, and technology services agency. During this time, Scott directed an exceptional team of designers and developers on projects for a diverse client base including Coca-Cola, Nautilus, El Pollo Loco, Pfizer, Hyundai, the Emmy’s, the Hallmark Channel, AEG, and the Conga Room.
Over the past 9 years, he has lead the technology efforts and contributed his business acumen to early stage startups, leveraging his deep experience in a variety of SaaS, consumer web and e-commerce technologies and development languages. Scott has won numerous awards, his work has been featured in numerous publications, and he holds a technology patent for his collaborative work with NudgeRx, a healthcare technology company he helped found in 2009.
His most recent projects include the planning and lead development on a SaaS platform that assists companies in solving complex innovation gaps through the use of a proprietary discovery engine, visualization tools and collaborative environments, and the planning and lead re-design/re-development of a patented online dispute resolution technology migration from Salesforce to Amazon Web Services.
Scott holds a Bachelor of Architecture Degree from Kansas State University.
Technology and Marketing Highlights:
- Information Security, Data-Centers, Enterprise Architecture
- Business Operations: Managed small and large teams through all aspects of project design and development
- Business Continuity: Migrated entire sites – consumer web and e-commerce from Drupal, Joomla and Volusion to WordPress
- Marketing Automation: Extensive experience customizing and extending marketing and e-commerce functionality in Magento, WordPress, Volusion and Shopify.
- Deep knowledge of Unix platforms running Apache or Node
- Knowledge of both relational and NoSQL database systems, with experience in complex schema design
- Cloud Services: Skilled in architecting multi-node environments within AWS and optimization of existing environment.
- Most recently reduced a client’s monthly AWS bill from $1,300/month to $500/month without reducing any nodes and improving overall environment performance.